Kyambogo University is in the process of phasing out over 40 courses on certificate and diploma levels.
Last week over 8,000 students graduated from Kyambogo but this number is likely to reduce in the coming years when this proposal of eliminating at least 47 courses is put into practice.
The idea was hatched by Kyambogo University vice chancellor Prof Elly Katunguka.
According to trusted sources at Kyambogo University, the university management has finalized a blue print to the university senate listing the courses to be phased out in the next academic year.
The reason for this is to put more concentration on bachelors, masters and PhD courses since many of the certificates and diploma courses are done under vocational studies and are also offered in other vocational training centres.
‘’There are highly demanded programmes and very crucial to skilling the youths but we are under pressure to phase out those programmes if we are to develop into a research active university, the list for affected courses will be out in March next year.’’ Prof Katunguka explained.
‘’We want to ensure that this decision is reached upon by the University Senate before academic year 2020/2021 which starts in August so that we don’t advertise them.’’ He concluded.
Here is the list of likely to be affected courses.
1. Adult and community education.
2. Deaf blindness
3. Science laboratory technology
4. Food processing technology.
5. Early childhood development
1. Accounting and finance
2. Interior design
3. Hotel and institutional catering
5. Fashion and apparel
6. Education secondary (Home economics)
7. Education secondary (Art and design)
8. Deaf studies
9. Science technology-Physics
10. Science and technology-chemistry
11. Science technology-biology
12. Diploma Food processing technology
13. Material and ceramic science technology
14. Sports and management
15. Textile design and technology
16. Computer science
17. Electrical engineering
18. Civil and building engineering
19. Civil building and engineering
20. Mechanical engineering
21. Computer engineering
22. Water engineering
24. Automobile engineering
25. Refrigeration and air condition
26. Telecommunication engineering
27. Biomedical engineering
28. Automobile engineering
29. Education secondary (Technological studies)
30. Education (Early childhood development)
31. Instructor and technical teacher education.
32. Education primary external
33. Special needs education
34. Library and information
35. Education secondary (French)
37. Music and theatre arts
38. Accounting finance
39. Sign language interpreting
40. Community based rehabilitation.
41. Guidance and cancelling
42. Education planning and management