The Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS) Uganda Social Media Conference 2021 kicks off tomorrow August 25th at 8am. The two-day conference has a star studded 32 panelist line up ready to educate and interact with Ugandans that will be watching and following the show online.
Running under the theme “Digital democracy in a Post Pandemic World”, the Conference will be live broadcast on TV and on social media from the Sheraton Kampala Hotel.
It will gather key stakeholders from the government, civil society, academia, researchers, policy-makers, and the media for a constructive exchange on the impact of social media on the state and society —highlighting both, opportunities and challenges it brings.
Here is the full list of panelists that will cover the two-day event.
- Dr. William Tayebwa – Senior Lecturer and Research Fellow of American council of Learned Societies.
- Adonia Ayebare – Ugandan Ambassador to the UN
- Opolot Nicholas – Programme Officer, Konrad Adenaeur Stiftung Uganda and South Sudan
- Anna Reismann – Country Director, KAS Uganda
- Raymond Mujuni – investigative journalist
- Kwezi Tabaro – Deputy Director, LéO Africa Institute
- Wanjuhi Njoroge – Founder, People Planet Africa
- Besigye Andrew – Public Policy and Communications Expert, Ministry of ICT
- Awel Uwihanganye – Founder, LéO Africa Institute
- Dr. Paul Kasenene – Wellness and Nutrition Specialist
- Alex Taremwa – Digital Journalist and Academic, Aga Khan University, Kenya
- Moses Owiny – ED Centre for Multilateral Affairs Uganda (CfMA)
- Dr. Okello Ayen – Director Public Health & Environment, Kampala Capital City Authority
- Jacob Eyeru – Chairperson of the National Youth Council
- Mathias Kamp – Policy Advisor East Africa, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
- Abubakar Matanda – Advocate and ANT Youth Leader
- Adeke Anna – District Woman MP, Soroti
- Agnes Igoye – Deputy National Coordinator for prevention of trafficking in persons
- Solomon Serwanjja – Executive Director, AIIJ
- Lynna Abaho – Labour Support Officer, Ministry of Gender
- Ojok Okello – Social Commentator, Humanitarian and Entrepreneur
- Rushongoka Wa Mpiira – Sustainability ExpertBlanshe Musinguzi – Journalist, Africa ReportDenis Nabende – URSB Corporate Affairs Manager
- Dr. Benedict Akimana – Pyschiatrist, Butabika Hospital
- Susan Nandudu – Executive Director, ACTADE
- Peter Benhur Nyeko – CEO, Mandulis Energy
- Cathy Adengo – Stanbic Bank Uganda, Head of Sustainability
- Claire Leduc – Cooperation Attache, French Embassy
- Tricia Bigirwa – Feminist writer, lawyer and activist
- Patience Atuhaire – BBC Reporter
- Allan Chekwech – Co-head Production Hub, Nation Media Group Uganda
- Aka Dope – Band
Registration and attendance of the conference is free of charge. Here’s how to register;
- Open the URL https://socialmedia.ug/ on your browser.
- From the menu provided, select ‘Register’ to continue.
- From the registration portal, enter the required details and click ‘Register’.
- An email will be sent to your registered email and it will contain the ‘Webinar ID’ and ‘Password’ for the event.
Topics that will be covered tomorrow on Day 1 of the conference are;
- Keynote speech from Dr. William Tayeebwa.
- Digital Diplomacy: The rise of algorithms and implications for big tech in African Institutions,
- Governments, and Individuals.
- Impact of social media on mental health: Hitting the pause button.
- Re-framing the climate change agenda on social media.
- Citizen journalism vs digital newsrooms: Building a consensus for new media.
- Social media and Elections in Africa.