The Kabale District COVID-19 Taskforce has banned the use of public
address systems during political campaigns, saying that it attracts crowds
that may lead to the spread of COVID-19.
The Kabale Resident District Commissioner (RDC), Mr Darius Nandinda, who also chairs the COVID-19 taskforce, told our Reporter on Friday
morning at his office in Makanga in Kabale Municipality, that the decision
has been reached after the district on Thursday recorded 45 COVID-19 cases
in a single day.
“The situation has continued to become volatile, a reason why the Kabale
District COVID-19 Taskforce resolved on Wednesday December 16, 2020 to
seriously re-energize the set guidelines and Standard Operating
Procedures – SOPs by the Ministry of Health. As the district taskforce, we
found out that using public address systems by those contesting on
different positions attract a big gathering; therefore we have resolved to
ban all public address systems in every part of the district.”,
Mr Nandida said.
Mr Nandinda added that whereas the public address systems are also
considered by the electoral commission as a means of scientific
campaigning, politicians should devise other means of campaigning such as
door to door, use of radios, telephoning and holding meetings of not more than 200 people.
Kabale district has become the second district in Kigezi region to ban the
use of public address systems during campaigns after Rukiga district also
banned them two months ago.
The Rukiga Resident District Commissioner (RDC), Ms Purikeria Muhindo said that the public address system was attracting very many people to gather in a congested place which is not acceptable.
Mr Nandinda also said that they have banned young people below the age of eighteen years from engaging in sports activities in public playgrounds
because they are failing to observe COVID-19 guidelines.
“It has come out that many young people have engaged in sports activities
without observing COVID-19 guidelines and the taskforce realized that such
games may continue spreading coronavirus. Therefore, football and other
games are hereby stopped with immediate effect until such a time when the ministry of health advises”, Mr Nandinda added.
He then ordered police and other security agencies to arrest persons who
will be found disregarding the orders and other guidelines from the
ministry of health so that they are taken to court and answer charges
accordingly because they will be putting the lives of Ugandans at the risk
Kabale District has so far registered 200 COVID-19 cases and nine deaths,
since the outbreak of the disease in Uganda in March this year.