A section of soldiers in the Guinea Conakry Army who staged an uprising in the capital on Sunday have announced in a short broadcast on state television that they have dissolved the constitution and the government in the West African state.
The development comes after a statement from the defense ministry reportedly said that an “attack on the presidential palace by mutinous forces had been put down.”
On Sunday morning, heavy gunfire broke out near the presidential palace in Conakry with several sources saying an elite national army unit led by a former French legionnaire, Lt. Col. Mamady Doumbouya, was behind the unrest.
An unidentified soldier, draped in Guinea’s national flag and surrounded by eight other armed soldiers, said in the broadcast that they planned to form a transitional government and would give further details later.
The soldier spoke after videos shared on social media showed President Alpha Conde surrounded in a room by army special forces.
The defense ministry maintained that the attempted insurgency had been put down.
“The presidential guard, supported by the loyalist and republican defence and security forces, contained the threat and repelled the group of assailants,” The Ministry said in a statement.
“Security and combing operations are continuing to restore order and peace.” They added.
The development comes barely a year since President Conde spearheaded a constitutional amendment to lift term limits and extend his stay in office. The country, last year, held an election that was heavily disputed by the opposition.