President Yoweri Museveni, in his address to the nation on the surging COVID-19 cases last night, banned and suspended a number of activities in a move aimed at halting the rise in infections across the country.
With deaths rising, daily confirmed cases have also spiked with over 1,200 registered on Sunday and majority of the infected being the young people between the ages of 20-39.
President Museveni has attributed the resurgence of the pandemic to failure by Ugandans to observe the set standard operating procedures.
We have summarized his action points from the address here below;
- All schools and institutions of higher learning to close for 42 days from 7th June starting 8am.
- All teachers to fully be vaccinated before being accepted in schools.
- Prayers in churches, mosques suspended for 42 days. Pray from home.
- Public and cultural gatherings suspended for 42 days except Judiciary, Executive and Legislature meetings.
- Travel from Category A countries suspended, except for returning Ugandans. India is currently the only country in this category.
- Agricultural activities to continue unhindered.
- Non-agricultural activities like malls, supermarkets, construction, to continue with SoPs.
- Factories, hotels, taxi parks to operate under strict SoPs.
- Weddings allowed with 20 people maximum with SoPs. House parties are banned.
- Burials, vigils should not exceed 20 mourners.
- Weekly open-air markets, cattle auction markets suspended for 42 days.
- All public transport between and across districts suspended for 42 days effective June 10th.
- Inter-district travel stopped for 42 days except within Kampala, Wakiso, Mukono. Exemption are cargo trucks, tourist vehicles, essential & emergency service vehicles.
- Public transport within same district allowed but with SoPs.
- Cargo trucks allowed to carry two people.
- Sports can go on but without spectators.
- 30% physical presence at office for 42 days. Appoint a compliance person.
- Not more than three people in private vehicles including driver. They also don’t move across districts.
- Arcades, hardware shops, to operate under SoPs, and close at 7pm. Owners to be held liable for breach. Pharmacies to be exempted.
- Salons, lodges, garages to operate till 7pm. Bars however shouldn’t operate. Drunkards can’t understand SoPs.
- Curfew stays at 9pm to 5.30am and vigorously enforced.
- Health emergencies during curfew to be attended to by security.
- Bodas can carry one passenger at a time and cease operation at 7pm.