Wednesday August 19th, 2020, a heavy downpour that started at around 1am until 6am caused floods in Bundibugyo that led to loss of property and death of a three year old child.
Since December 2019, Bundibugyo District has been experiencing consecutive floods and environmental experts predicted then, that the problem would bounce back during the March to May rains and during the August to November rains.
Just like predicted the floods have been hitting the district. Last year in May and early December, very many people died due to the back to back floods and it’s happening again this year.
On the same date like above, the floods have hit again killing a three-year-old child and destroying property in Ntandi Town Council and Kasitu Sub County.
The deceased, was a child of a one Mr Nzebere Bwambale, a resident of Kitehe village, Kasitu parish in Kasitu Sub County. It is said that the deceased died following her parents who had rushed to rescue neighbour’s property.
According to the chairperson Ntandi Town Council, Mr Asaba Galibulha, at least 800 households are estimated to have been affected on Wednesday. Crops destroyed include banana plantations, cocoa and sweet potatoes among others.
Members from the Red Cross Society Uganda and World Vision were seen making assessments to ascertain the magnitude of the destruction caused. The district chairperson, Mr. Ronald Mutegeki said the district is making an assessment report to submit to the office of the Prime Minister for assistance to the affected families.
Mutegeki also said he has notified Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA) to come and work on the affected road network in the area.
“We ask our people who are in areas prone to floods and landslides to relocate to safer areas as we wait for any assistance from the government,” Mutegeki said.